The Student Health Center believes that counseling from an objective, knowledgeable, and caring person can benefit everyone, at one time or another. For many, this time occurs during college. The Counseling Services at Rensselaer help students maximize their sense of well being as well as their academic, personal and social growth.
Counseling Services staff includes:
- licensed social workers and mental health counselors
- licensed psychiatrist board-certified in Psychiatry and Addiction Medicine.
All staff have specialized training in college health issues and provide a variety of services including (but not limited to) individual, group, and couples therapy, faculty/staff consultation, and outreach services.
8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday, during the academic year. (closed 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. for lunch)
Counseling Services staff are available in case of a crisis on evenings and weekends. Call Public Safety at (518) 276-6611 and ask to speak with the on-call counselor
Maintaining confidentiality is a vital part of the counseling relationship. The information that you share with a counselor will not be disclosed to any outside person or agency – including parents, faculty, future employers, etc. – without your written permission. In fact, the Counseling Center generally will not even disclose whether or not a student has used its services.
The only exceptions to this strict policy of confidentiality are situations where:
- The client is likely to harm him- or herself
- The client presents a serious danger of violence to another
- There is a reasonable suspicion of abuse of children or of an elderly person
- The student is not yet 18, and disclosure is provided to the student's parents(s)/guardian(s)
- Disclosure is required by law, such as in fulfillment of a valid subpoena or court order.