All full-time students must have health insurance coverage for routine and non-emergency care in the Troy area.
The health center is pleased to offer dental insurance for Undergraduate and Graduate Students, and their dependents
Per Rensselaer policy, all full-time students must have health insurance coverage for routine and non-emergency care in the Troy area. To ensure compliance with this policy all full-time students are enrolled in the RPI sponsored health insurance plan via the health insurance fee on the e-bill. Students then must either:
- Waive the coverage if they have existing comparable coverage that is accepted in Troy, NY. OR
- Affirm the enrollment if they need the RPI student health insurance plan.
Remaining in or waiving out of the health insurance plan is an annual decision, effective for the entire academic year. The insurance fee will remain on your e-bill until a waiver is approved by the Medical Director. Those choosing to waive the insurance MUST renew their waiver EACH YEAR. All fall waivers must be submitted by September 1st. Other changes to enrollment/waiver status can only be processed in the case of a qualifying event (e.g., loss of insurance coverage).
The Waiver/Enrollment form is accessed via the Student Health Center on-line Health Portal. Follow this link to register for the Student Health Center Web Portal. Once registered, click on “My Forms” and complete the “Health Insurance Waiver-Enrollment 2020-2021” form.
- If you have never used the on-line health portal you will need to register and create an account by following the instructions at the portal sign-in page.
- If you have used our health portal before but cannot remember your password, we can re-set your portal access so that you can re-register. Please use the contact us form to request that your portal access be reset, include your RPI email, name and RIN number in the request.
- Please note that the health portal will include health appointment history information (dates/times), do not share your portal access to anyone whom you do not want to have access to this information. We will not reset a portal account at a parent's request. The student must contact us to request a portal reset.
Health Insurance Enrollment / Waiver
Health Insurance Enrollment / Waiver - Portal Form Due By September 1st.
If you AFFIRM ENROLLMENT in the RPI/CDPHP Student Health Insurance Plan, the health insurance fee will remain on your e-bill. Coverage is effective August 1 (January 1 for new spring students) through July 31st. To access a copy of your insurance card and other services provided by CDPHP, please register with CDPHP's website here. You will be asked for your Member ID, which is your RIN#, and a suffix, which is '00,' along with your date of birth and zip code.
If you WAIVE ENROLLMENT in the RPI/CDPHP Student Health insurance Plan, please allow 2 weeks for the waiver request to be reviewed and the health insurance fee to be removed from your RPI e-bill. If your waiver request is denied, you will be notified. The denial notification will include information on why your request was denied and how to appeal the denial.
The form to either affirm or waive enrollment in the RPI/CDPHP Student Health Insurance Plan is found on the Health Portal.
What to consider before waiving the insurance
Before you decide whether to waive the Rensselaer Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan, ask your insurance company these questions to see if your current plan will include the following while you are at Rensselaer:
- Does your current health plan cover voluntary inpatient care for mental health and chemical dependency service in the Troy, NY area?
- Does your plan provide outpatient care in the Troy, NY area, including office visits, visits to specialists, routine care, outpatient mental health care, outpatient chemical dependency treatment, physical therapy, x-rays, and lab work? (Coverage for emergency-only care does not satisfy this requirement.)
- Does your plan provide hospitalization, medical and surgical treatment in the Troy, NY area?
- Does your plan provide prescription drug coverage in the Troy, NY area?
Travel Insurance does not work the same as traditional United States health insurance plans. Beginning with the 2014-2015 academic year, travel insurance will no longer meet the requirements to waive the RPI/CDPHP plan. Do not purchase or renew your Travel Insurance Plan. In order to meet RPI health insurance requirements, you will need to enroll in the RPI/CDPHP plan. You can only waive out of the RPI/CDPHP health insurance plan with a traditional, US-based, health insurance plan.
Insurance Fees for the 2020-2021 Academic Year
All full-time students are enrolled in the RPI sponsored health insurance plan via the health insurance fee on the e-bill. The student insurance fee for 2020-2021 is $704 per semester, which includes a 1.8% administrative fee ($12.45). Each year you must elect to waive or affirm this enrollment via the on-line Health Portal (see above). Part-time students can voluntarily enroll in the RPI/CDPHP health insurance plan via the waiver/enrollment form found on the Health Portal (see above). Please email email@example.com to request that the enrollment form be sent to your portal account. The fee for part-time students is the same as for full-time students per semester.
Benefit Summary - A listing of benefits associated with the RPI/CDPHP student insurance plan is located here.
Find a Doc - Use this link to see if a non-RPI provider is in-network with CDPHP. On the Find-A-Doc page select "National EPO/PPO/HDEPO/HDPPO as the plan type OR enter your member number (RIN with two zeros added at the end).
Full CDPHP Contract - To view the entire RPI/CDPHP student insurance plan contract for 2020-2021 click here. (To be posted when available) (Please contact us if you would like a paper copy of this contract mailed to you.)
Spouses/dependents - The Capital District Physicians’ Health Plan (CDPHP) student health plan is no longer available to the spouses and dependents of students. Students who would like to obtain health insurance for their spouse or dependent(s) have three options:
- Contact CDPHP (518-641-3700 or 1-800-777-2273) to learn about CDPHP policies available to individuals and families.
- Contact a NYS Certified Navigator through the Healthy Capital District Initiative (HCDI) (518-462-7040). HCDI navigators work directly with individuals to complete applications through the New York State Health Plan Marketplace and apply for Medicaid, Child Health Plus, Essential Plan, and Qualified Health Plans.
- Apply for coverage directly through the New York State Health Plan Marketplace. Use this site to compare health plan options and apply for assistance that could lower the cost of health coverage. Individuals and families may also qualify for free or low-cost coverage from Medicaid, Child Health Plus, or the Essential Plan through the Marketplace.
Lost Insurance Card?
Create a My CDPHP Account via the CDPHP Student Plan page. Once registered, you will be able to request a replacement card and print a temporary card.
If you have any questions about the Rensselaer Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan, please contact the Student Health Center by calling (518) 276-6287 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is an annual program, billed on a semester basis (fall: August 1 - January 31 and spring: February 1- July 31).
- Graduate Students - All regular, full-time graduate students are automatically enrolled in the dental insurance, charged the $88.50/semester fee, and can access an insurance card once enrolled on the Delta website. Any graduate student not automatically enrolled may contact the Student Health Center (by 9/1 in the fall semester, 2/1 in the spring) to enroll. Any graduate student who would like to waive the dental insurance, MUST complete a the dental waiver form on the on-line portal, documenting proof of existing dental insurance by 9/1 for fall. (Spring semester waivers (by 2/1 deadline) are only applicable to new students entering during a spring semester).
- Undergraduate Students - All undergraduate students are eligible to enroll in the voluntary, undergraduate dental insurance plan. The charge is $258/semester and will be placed directly on the student's account. To enroll, please complete the required dental enrollment form and fax (276-8573) the enrollment form to the Student Health Center no later than September.
- Family/Dependent Coverage for Graduate Students - Graduate students who wish to enroll a spouse or dependent child in the dental insurance program must complete and submit a family enrollment form by 9/1 (fall) and 2/1 (spring). The total fee for Graduate Student and Spouse/Child(ren) coverage is $272.58/semester. Fax (276-8573) the enrollment form to the Student Health Center no later than 9/1 (fall) and 2/1 (spring new students only).
- Family/Dependent Coverage for Undergraduate Students - Undergraduate students who wish to enroll a spouse or dependent child in the dental insurance program must contact the Student Health Center. The total fee for Undergraduate Student and Spouse/Child(ren) coverage is $637.32/semester.
Once you have enrolled, register at DeltaDentalIns.com to access insurance information online any time. Find a dentist, check your benefits, print an ID card, and get wellness information, and more. Click here for more information.